5 ways to explore like a traveler and not a tourist
The two words sound so similar, yet are strewn with many prominent differences between them. The tips given below would help you understand the subtle divergences and at the same time help you understand what is it that you have been doing wrong till now.
- Fewer clothes, more cash: You can explore like a traveler and not a tourist by keeping only a pair of comfort clothing, a reliable pair of shoes and a camera in your backpack. Ditch those fancy pair of footwear for a while.
- Hostels Yes, hotels Nah: You can explore like a traveler and not a tourist if you let go off the luxury of a hotel room. Hostels are not only cheaper but they also are a great place to socialize with fellow explorers who share your love for travel. (Do check out the best places to trek in Himachal, India)
- Slow down: You can explore like a traveler and not a tourist if you let go off your urge to cover every damn spot you read about on the internet. Don’t rush, sit back, walk down those wild trails akin to the locals, stargaze, try to explore beyond the clichés. (Do read about the teens who have biked the entire silk route)
- Mingle with the locals: You can explore like a traveler and not a tourist if you try to socialize with the natives. They would tell you the tales that no article on Google ever can. Talking to them is a humbling experience, there is endless scope of learning and you might just get an invitation to eat at their home.
- Give a break to private automobiles or automobiles at all: You can explore like a traveler and not a tourist if you choose to walk and not be dependent upon your vehicle or taxi all the time. There are a myriad of beautiful intricacies which we often miss out on when we are in a car. A walk would allow you to connect with the place in a lot more deeper way.
What are the ways in which you practice being a traveler? Do share in the comments section below! Its always great to enlighten your fellow travel enthusiasts. (Do check out the story of this traveler who is battling cancer)
P.S. Attaching yet another video for all my lazy readers.